Mehbooba, Vohra discusses security situation


SRINAGAR: In the background of terrorist attack on a BSF camp near Srinagar airport a day before, Governor N N Vohra has called for a time-bound security audit of ‘sensitive and important’ security establishments in the state, as he met Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Wednesday evening.
The meeting was held at Raj Bhavan as Chief Minister discussed the security situation with the governor, besides briefing him about various important matters relating to the affairs of the State.
The meeting lasted one hour.
“The governor advised the chief minister to see that the heads of all forces hold an urgent meeting for a time-bound security audit of all sensitive and important security establishments in J&K,” a spokesperson said.
Governor observed that he had spoken on these lines with Dr S.P. Vaid, DGP, immediately after he was informed about the Fidayeen attack, the spokesperson added.
Three Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorists, on Tuesday, had carried out a suicide attack on the BSF Headquarters in Srinagar, located next to Srinagar Airport, which resulted in the killing of three terrorists and a BSF personnel.
Governor and Chief Minister also discussed various other matters, including the need for Heads of Departments and Administrative Secretaries putting in added effort and enforcing stringent control to ensure implementation of all development and welfare programmes within the envisaged time frames. Besides the need for firming up the work programme at least for the next six months, including elections to rural and urban local self-governing bodies, the Governor reiterated the importance of close day to day attention being given to ensure efficient delivery of public services and severe punishments to those involved in corrupt practices.
Meanwhile, BSF Director General K K Sharma said that while it is not possible to stop suicide attacks, the security response to such attempts is more important, a day after terrorists struck a camp of the border-guarding force here.
Sharma also said that suicide attacks on security forces in Kashmir will continue as long as Pakistan does not rein in militants.
“So long our friendly neighbour (Pakistan) does not behave, I think we can expect many more attacks,” Sharma said.
He was talking to mediapersons during a wreath-laying ceremony for Assistant Sub Inspector B K Yadav, who was killed in the attack on the Gogoland BSF camp yesterday.
“The fidayeens are determined. We cannot stop the attack of the fidayeens. They will always manage to come but it is the response which is important. The response of BSF was highly professional,” he said.
“I am sure you know the kind of damage done in suicide attacks in the past. By comparison, you can say the BSF has acquitted itself very well and I am proud of the boys,” Sharma added.
Asked if the security around BSF camps will be beefed up, the BSF DG said the security situation is reviewed from time to time.
“We get inputs regularly about the possibility of attacks on static locations. That is how we were able to deal with this attack with minimum damage,” he added.
Sharma went to describe details of the terror strike and how it was thwarted.
The weapon room of the BSF camp seemed to the target of the terrorists, he said, adding that their attempt was foiled by an alert sentry who challenged them.
“As soon as they (terrorists) were fired upon, they spread out in different directions. One went towards the SO’s mess, another went inside the adminstration block and the third one ran towards the canteen but was neutralised by the two guards there.
“The militant who went to SOs’ mess fired upon (ASI) Yadav who was in his room. Yadav fought bravely but unfortunately he received a bullet to the head. There were other officers in the mess who had returned from patrolling duty and had their weapons with them. They killed the second terrorist,” he said.
Sharma said a Quick Response Team from Humhama camp and some senior officers of the force came in to help.
“After marking out the location of the third terrorist, they waited for the first light. By that time the Rashtriya Rifles, SOG (Special Operations Group) and CRPF also joined the operation. The soldiers then tactfully forced the militant to come out of the building and neutralised him.” PTI MIJ SNE BSA
In view of Tuesday’s attack, senior officers of BSF and State police discussed upgrading security arrangements around the camps.
A police spokesman said here this evening that Additional Director General (ADG) of BSF Kaman Nayan Choubey, Western Command, Chandigrah accompanied by Inspector General BSF Ms Sonali Mishra called on Director General of Police (DGP) Dr S P Vaid here today.
The officers had a discussion regarding the measures taken for upgrading the security of the BSF camps in Kashmir. The BSF officers also briefed DGP regarding the security placed by the force on the borders in Kashmir where they are posted for checking the infiltration from across the borders, spokesman said.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here